Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Nora Chipaumire - Welcome to Zimbabwe



I feel very lucky to live where I do. We have a thriving arts community here, and there are so many free public events to keep me inspired and invested.

Last week we got the chance to see Nora Chipaumire. Shes a dancer from Zimbabwe who blends traditional steps with modern choreography. Her work draws from current affairs, feminism, and cultural heritage.

We were first treated to a screening of the art film based on her life. It was visually brilliant, the story was touching, and I enjoyed the pace and texture of the movie.

For me, the real prize was watching Nora dance. We saw selections from three of her works; Chimurenga, Welcome to Zimbabwe, and Black Swan. I found her style very powerful and seemed to draw from breath, dirt, and a guttural desire.


(you can see her in action, as well as some clips from the movie here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...